Work-life balance is a concept that describes a situation in which an employee can split their time and energy between work and other essential aspects of their life. Achieving a healthy work-life balance is a daily challenge; after all, you are trying to make time for your family and friends, spiritual and personal growth, self-care, and other personal activities, while juggling the demands of your workplace!
You might be thinking that achieving a healthy work-life balance is something you will only be able to achieve later in life, once you’ve reached that career milestone, once your kids are older, or once you’ve retired. Life is unpredictable, though — as we’ve all learned over the past two years — and if you don’t make room for the things that genuinely matter right now, you may not get another chance.
How Do I Establish A Work-Life Balance?
As long as you’re working, juggling your career and your personal life demands will be an ongoing challenge; by setting limits and looking after yourself, you can achieve the work-life balance that’s best for you. Keep reading to learn about a few of my best recommendations!
Setting limits: If you don’t set boundaries, you can end up with no time for the relationships and activities you enjoy.
- Give yourself enough time to get things done; don’t overschedule yourself.
- Evaluate your priorities at work and home and try to shorten your to-do list. Cut or delegate activities you don’t enjoy or can’t handle. Even share your concerns and possible solutions with your employer or others. Don’t be afraid to say “No”! When you stop accepting tasks out of guilt or a false sense of obligation, you’ll have more time for activities that genuinely mean something to you.
- Working from home or using technology to connect to work at home can make you feel like you are always on the job. Sit down with your leadership and talk about ways you can disconnect. If possible, dress for work and have a dedicated workspace if you work from home. Detach and transition to home life at the end of the day by changing your outfit, driving or walking, or doing an activity with your kids, pets, or partner — or everyone together!
- Ask your employer about flex hours, a compressed workweek, job sharing, or other scheduling flexibility. The more control you have over your hours, the better your work-life balance.
Caring for yourself: A healthy lifestyle is essential in coping with stress and achieving a desirable work-life balance. Eat well, include physical activity in your daily routine, and get enough sleep.
- Set time aside for activities you enjoy, such as yoga, gardening, or reading. Hobbies can help you relax and take your mind off of work. Discover activities you can do with your partner, family, or friends, like hiking, dancing, or taking cooking classes.
- Volunteering to help others can improve your connections with people, leading to greater life satisfaction.
- Join forces with co-workers who can cover for you, and vice versa, if family situations arise. At home, enlist trusted friends and loved ones to pitch in with child care or household responsibilities for those times when you can’t avoid working late.
What Are Some Outstanding Benefits You Will Experience When Practicing A Healthy Work-Life Balance?
I encourage you to apply the steps I shared above to your everyday situation. You will experience some outstanding benefits when you maintain a healthy work-life balance, such as:
- When we find (and sustain) a healthy work-life balance, we develop greater control over our focus and ability to concentrate on the task at hand; this is known as mindfulness, and it’s a beautiful benefit of a balanced life.
- Burnouts occur when we feel overwhelmed and unable to meet constant demands. The adverse effects of burnout can affect every aspect of our lives. Removing the sources of burnout, such as overwork, fatigue, and stress will significantly enhance your life.
- Having set boundaries that establish when you will work and when you will not; That feeling of knowing that you’ll be able to step away from your desk at the end of the day and not have to come back will motivate you to work more effectively and efficiently. I predict that your overall productivity will significantly increase!
I’m AnnaVija McClain. From building marketing strategies and streamlining business systems to automating processes and developing talent, I’ve developed solutions backed by years of experience that will help you transform your Nashville small business and your life. If you are struggling with your work-life balance, I’m here to help!
Contact me online or call me at (615) 348 7768 to set up a time for us to sit down and talk about ways I can help you achieve your business goals and dreams.